Search For Books - By Author, Title Or Keyword
Welcome to Longfellow Books
We are currently closed to the public, but we can still get you books!
We'll be here answering the phones and processing orders for shipping Monday-Friday between 10 and 4. This is the perfect time to get some great recommendations from your favorite booksellers!
To place an order, call us at 207-772-4045, email email@example.com or place orders through this website!
Thank you for your continued support!
Stay healthy & well-read!
We are currently not accepting used books.
Thank you for understanding.
We have an important update for our customers.
Greetings Dear Readers, With all of the uncertainty surrounding the spread of Covid-19, we wanted to update you on a few changes we’re making here at Longfellow Books. As always, our primary concern is the safety of our staff and our community. First, a few things we are doing immediately for the safety of our staff and customers:
1) Sanitizing common surfaces: We are currently sanitizing all phones, keyboards, registers, doorknobs, etc at least twice a day and generally more often than that.
2) Sanitizing ourselves -- All staff are encouraged to wash their hands or use sanitizer consistently throughout their shifts. We have a solid stockpile of hand sanitizer and it’s readily accessible to staff in all work areas.
3) Encouraging anyone that feels ill to stay home (and this includes customers.)
Second -- we understand that there are some of you right now and maybe more as the weeks go on, that may feel uncomfortable coming into downtown Portland at this time -- for books or multiple other needs. To that end, we are eliminating all shipping fees immediately if requested. Our normal shipping fees are $6 for the first book and $1 for each additional book. However, for the time being, that fee will be waived if you feel uncomfortable about coming into the store and feel that the financial hardship of shipping costs would prevent you from ordering books from us. Our goal is to ensure that you can still get the books you want from your local bookstore whenever you need them. As a reminder, if you call us before 11 AM we can get most books delivered to the store by the next afternoon. We would then need to ship them to you, but we are more than happy to do so.
The shipping fee will be waived as a default, but if you feel you are financially able to help with the cost of shipping, please let us know as that will help support this overall effort of ensuring the communities' needs are met.
NOTE: This does not apply to any rush shipping -- unfortunately we will need to continue charging for those. As always, we are all in this together. So we’ll sign off with a slightly different message this time…
In Books... and In Each Other... We Trust, Ari, Meg, Matt, Sarah, Lucinda, Colin & Kat
Check Out This Week's Bestsellers!
1. The Overstory by Richard Powers
2. The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson
3. Light Years by R. W. W. Greene
4. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery
5. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng
6. In Praise of Difficult Women by Karen Karbo
7. Writers & Lovers by Lily King
8. I'm Thinking of Ending Things by Iain Reid
9. Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe
10. Searching for Stars on an Island in Maine by Alan Lightman
11. Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney
12. Calypso by David Sedaris
13. How to Change Your Mind by Michael Pollan
14. Weather by Jenny Offill
15. Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli
Our Used Book Buying Policy
• We pay store credit for used books, not cash.
• Our buyers cannot process any books on the spot.
• We pay approximately 30% of what we decide to charge for a book. So if we price something at $8, we’ll give you $2.40 in store credit for it.
• We take one bag or box at a time, and you can drop off books whenever we're open*. We will call you once we go through your books (it takes us about a week, unless we’re buried very deep) to tell you how much store credit you’re getting.
*We may go through periods when we get overloaded and have to temporarily pause, so please call or check our website before bringing books in.
• We take many different kinds of books (paperbacks & hardcovers, fiction & nonfiction), but our selection varies with supply & demand.
However, we usually will not buy:
•Books that are in generally poor condition (torn or yellowed pages, missing dustcovers, split spines, etc.)
•Books with underlining or highlighting
•Textbooks and outdated reference books (travel guides, etc.)
•Non-book items (magazines, journals, calendars, DVDs, CDs, etc.)
•Currently, we are not taking kids books or young adult/middle reader books, or oversized coffee table/art books.
• If there are books we don’t take, we can either donate them to Goodwill or you can pick them back up. We will ask your preference when you drop them off. If you elect to pick books back up, we ask that you pick them up within 7 days of when we contact you. After that, we reserve the right to donate them.
Indie Next List
No front page content has been created yet.