Search For Books - By Author, Title Or Keyword
Home From the Sea (Elemental Masters #7) (Mass Market)
Other Books in Series
This is book number 7 in the Elemental Masters series.
- #1: The Serpent's Shadow (Elemental Masters #1) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #2: The Gates of Sleep (Elemental Masters #2) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #3: Phoenix and Ashes (Elemental Masters #3) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #4: The Wizard of London (Elemental Masters #4) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #5: Reserved for the Cat (Elemental Masters #5) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #6: Unnatural Issue (Elemental Masters #6) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #8: Steadfast (Elemental Masters #8) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #9: Blood Red (Elemental Masters #9) (Mass Market): $7.99
- #10: From a High Tower (Elemental Masters #10) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #11: A Study in Sable (Elemental Masters #11) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #12: A Scandal in Battersea (Elemental Masters #12) (Hardcover): $27.00
- #13: The Bartered Brides (Elemental Masters #13) (Hardcover): $27.00
- #14: The Case of the Spellbound Child (Elemental Masters #14) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #15: Jolene (Elemental Masters #15) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #16: The Silver Bullets of Annie Oakley: An Elemental Masters Novel (Mass Market): $10.99
The seventh novel in Mercedes Lackey's magical Elemental Masters series reimagines the fairy tale East of the Sun, West of the Moon in a richly-detailed alternate Victorian England
For as long as she could remember, Mari Prothero had seen things—things that shouldn’t, that couldn’t be real: tiny manlike creatures that were mischievous and wore only seaweed, and beings that spoke to her kindly, but seemed to be made of water. Mari had grown up in tiny Welsh fishing village where she lived alone with her father, Daffyd, a master fisherman—her mother and brother having drowned when she was a child. Mari had long ago given up trying to talk to her father about the creatures she saw.
But on the morning of her eighteenth birthday, her father finally told her the great secret of the Prothero family. Her family had an ancient covenant with magical shape-shifters, the Selch, who were half-human, half-seal people. Her lost mother and brother were not truly dead, but neither were they human. Now Mari must abide by her family’s magical compact, or face dire consequences.
But Mari was not without protectors. The tiny creatures she had seen her whole life counseled her to bargain with the Selch. While in faraway London, Lord Alderscroft, head of the Elemental Masters, was aware that a powerful but untrained Water Master on the far coast of Wales was being threatened by some of the Elemental Elder Spirits, and he had dispatched some very unique champions to come to Mari’s aid....
About the Author
Mercedes Lackey is a full-time writer and has published numerous novels and works of short fiction, including the best-selling Heralds of Valdemar series. She is also a professional lyricist and a licensed wild bird rehabilitator. She lives in Oklahoma with her husband, artist Larry Dixon, and their flock of parrots. She can be found at mercedeslackey.com or on Twitter at @mercedeslackey.
Praise for the Elemental Masters series:
“The Paris of Degas, turn-of-the-century Blackpool, and the desperation of young girls without family or other protection come to life in a story that should interest a broad readership.” —Booklist
“All in fine fairy-tale tradition…. It’s grim fun, with some nice historical detail, and just a hint of romance to help lighten things.” —Locus
“The action and dialogue flow freely, mingling with beautiful descriptions of European countryside and just a hint of romance…. A well-developed heroine and engaging story.” —Publishers Weekly
“The fifth in the series involving the mysterious Elemental Masters, this story of a resourceful young dancer also delivers a new version of a classic fairy tale. Richly detailed historic backgrounds add flavor and richness to an already strong series that belongs in most fantasy collections. Highly recommended.” —Library Journal
“Lackey’s fantastical world of Elementals, plus her delightful Nan and Sarah, create an amusing contrast for Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes and John Watson…. The mix of humor, history, fantasy, and mystery is balanced in a way that any reader could pick up the book and thoroughly enjoy it from beginning to end.” —RT Reviews
“The Elementals novels are beautiful, romantic adult fairy tales. Master magician Mercedes Lackey writes a charming fantasy.” —Worlds of Wonder
“Ms. Lackey is a master in fantasy, and this visit to an alternate historical England is no exception. Vivid characterization and believable surroundings are flawlessly joined in a well-detailed world.” —Darque Reviews
"I find Ms. Lackey's Elemental Masters series a true frolic into fantasy."
—Fantasy Book Spot